Sunday, August 4, 2019

Homeward Bound

Right now, I'm sitting at the airport in Taipei waiting to get on the airplane for my final flight home.

All throughout this weekend, I've had to say my goodbyes to my newest friends and family. On Friday, we had a bowling party with all of the students and staff. Not to brag, but I won all of the games that I played in (although admittedly, it's easier to do that when you play against people who have never bowled before). Saturday I spent most of the day packing, and then in the evening we went for a Thai BBQ dinner. It's similar to hotpot, except there is a little grill in the middle, and the rim is boiling broth. It was a really fun dinner, once I figured out how to stop burning everything. But it was at that dinner where I had to say goodbye to Billy, P. Khin Nanda, and Hoan, and that was really tough. My newest friends and mentors in the school staff, and I had to say goodbye. For now, anyways. Once we arrived back from dinner, a surprise was waiting for Annika and I. The students and Hom went out onto the soccer field and spelled "Thx U" with lit candles. The students were each holding candles and then sang us songs and each took turns to say thank you to us. So naturally I started crying like a baby. In that moment, I felt so loved and appreciated by my new friends. We talked about how it's not a "goodbye" but a "see you later". Afterwards, we sang songs and laughed in the Sala, and even though it was my last night there, it was one of the happiest ones that I had throughout my entire trip.

I'm really going to miss these people that I've crossed paths with. Our lives have intertwined, and I am a much better person from it. I was given this opportunity of a lifetime, and I have learned so much- about Southeast Asia and the people who live there, about teaching, and about myself. I want to thank Illinois Wesleyan University, the Freeman Asia Program, and the IWU Educational Studies Department for making this dream a reality.





No comments:

Post a Comment